Saturday 10 September 2011

Hedgerow Berries

Today I went in search of ancient hedgerows near Winchester and I was not disappointed. Ancient hedgerows may be defined as those which were in existence from the 18th century. They are species rich, typically having more than five woody species per 30m of their length. They are important in terms of biodiversity as well as being of cultural, historical and landscape importance. September is a great time to appreciate hedgerows as many of the trees and shrubs are laden with berries. Today I saw all my favourites including bright red hawthorn berries, the deep purple sloes of blackthorn as well as pink spindle and shiny black elder bunches. I saw wayfaring tree, privet, spindle, wild apple, rose hips, buckthorn and also field maple, yew and whitebeam trees, a very satisfying trip.

Ancient Hedgerow





No comments:

Post a Comment